Data Modeling Tools
Basics about Data Modeling Tools
Data modeling refers to the formalization or documentation of the various events and processes that takes place in the course of the design and development of application software. The data modeling tools are used to capture and translate some of the advanced system designs into simple understandable representations of data processes, creating an easy guide or blue print for application construction or reengineering.
By definition a data model can be described as a flowchart or a diagram that illustrates the various connections or relationships between data. Data models define structuring of data for storage in various data management systems in an organization. Data modeling tools are meant to capture the various relationships in a given data model. This process is usually time sensitive and is often done systematically without any rush. Good data modeling tools allow the stakeholders to identify some of the common errors and make appropriate changes before any programming code is worked on or written.
Data modeling tools use myriad data models to capture the same data and to ensure that various entities, relationships, processes, and data flows are identified. There are therefore many data modeling approaches that the various data modeling tools are associated with. They include
- Conceptual Data Modeling this identifies some of the high-level relationships and attributes between multiple entities.
- Logical Data Modeling this represents attributes, relationships, and entities of a specific business function. It generally serves as the basis for creating physical data models.
- Enterprise Data Modeling this is based on the same principles as conceptual data modeling. However, it addresses certain specific requirements of particular businesses.
- Physical Data Modeling this majorly represents an implementation of a logical data model of a specific application or a data base.
Types of Data Modeling Tools
There are myriad types of data modeling tools. Some of the common ones include
- Design this provides a very user-friendly data generation facility that can be used to capture various data types. It offers forward and reverses data engineering for a wide range of RDBMSs.
- Case studios This is one of the most outstanding data modeling tools in the market. It is famed for its ability to support a wide range of databases. It is also not very expensive. It is thus suitable for organizations that do not need enterprise solutions.
- ERStudio this is another excellent data modeling tool that is suitable for enterprise data modeling. Its graphic management capabilities and automatic layout capabilities are very advanced than most data modeling tools in the market.
- ModelRight This is one of the best database physical modeling tools. It has excellent documentation and provides user-friendly details on template writing to extend your system.
With many organizations adopting various data modeling tools in their systems, it is important to understand how and where to get various data modeling tools. Generally, information about data modeling companies, software, and other data modeling related issues can be obtained online. Nevertheless, before you settle for any data modeling tool, it is significant to compare its features and prices with others in the market.